Starting A New Season

It’s hard for me to believe that we left Eastside over six months ago.

I expected to face a great deal of quiet time...and maybe even some boredom...but that has not been the case. Instead of a lack of things to do, I’ve had more of the sense of a relaxed pace to accomplish what needs to be done. I feel like there are actually pauses in my days; times when I can live in the moment and rest in God’s presence. This has given me a great sense of peace in my soul.


I now feel as if we have come through one season and entered another one. The fall was a season of loss, followed by healing and restoration: no jobs, moving our two daughters, spending time with family in Minnesota, two weeks at the pastoral retreat center, and beginning to de-clutter our lives from living at a break-neck speed. And in the midst of these various activities, I had to help Karina begin to plan her wedding, and then organize her wedding shower in December.

With all of this now behind us, I feel as if we have turned a corner in the past few weeks. This new season is one of deeper transformation and preparation. We’re adding some new "spiritual practices" to our lives (contemplative & reflective prayer) and developing a sense of clarity about our future direction, while God is continually testing our trust in Him and the values by which we live.

This new season fills me with an itch to move ahead in our journey. We’re looking forward to Karina’s wedding in June, the development of Rachel’s future plans, and Matthew’s college graduation in December. And as Bruce is now sending out resumes, our hearts are filled with anticipation…and yes, some trepidation…about the future ministry to which God will call us. I have a growing sense that an adventure is waiting just around the corner, and I feel excited…and hopeful… and ready (almost).

This change of season is good. It’s refreshing. And I’m continually reminded that a sabbatical like this has its own special pace, as God graciously refreshes our souls and re-orders our future.

- Julie