Water Touches My Soul

I grew up by the ocean and spent many days swimming and sunbathing; walking by the shore and listening to the sound of the waves. My love for the ocean has broadened into a deep joy for all kinds of water in God’s creation.

During the 5 years we lived in Illinois, we lived near two Forest Preserves – one with a lake, one with a river – and we spent many hours listening to the water, and watching it change during the seasons.

As the years have passed, I’ve noticed that streams, lakes, rivers, and oceans have become more than just places of beauty or fun…they are places of deep soul reflection, where the setting itself, and the sound of the water, can literally draw me into the presence of God. Sitting by water, swimming in the water, or kayaking on the water, brings a sense of peace into my soul.

Twice during this sabbatical, God has used water to encourage and remind me of His plan for me.

First: last fall, while sitting at Deadman’s Creek in the eastern Sierras, I sat on a log watching the water trickle down the mountainside. As I did, I felt these words from Jesus pass through my mind:

“Rest” the brook sang.
“Follow the path I’ve laid out”, the rocks chimed.
“Keep going” the pebbles murmured.
“Give yourself time to grow”, the towering pines whispered.

I felt like the very creation was speaking God’s wisdom to me. And these words so powerfully expressed what has come to pass during my journey over these past 7 months. Day by day, I have rested…and have been renewed… and have experienced growth as I have increasingly learned to live by faith. I am living in the moment and allowing God to alter the rhythm of my life.

Second: just a few weeks ago, Bruce and I stayed in a cabin near Santa Barbara. Right outside our door (literally!) was a rushing stream, swollen by the recent rain. One afternoon, as I sat on our small porch in an easy chair, listening to the sounds and watching the rushing water, I felt like God was once again using His creation to speak to my soul:

The pebbles murmured, “Move along”.
The rocks chimed, “Enjoy the swiftly moving current”.
The budding spring flowers, shaking in the gentle breeze, whispered “Look for new life”.
The brook sang, “Open yourself to the new adventure ahead”.

Last September in the Sierras, fall was coming and the water in the creek reflected the impending season of winter: a metaphor for slowing down and taking time for the inner journey. Now winter is ebbing and the creek reflects the impending season of spring: a metaphor for new life and a new season.

The two different creeks signal to me that the season has changed; that it is now time to look forward…to listen and discover what God wants to do in me and through me in the months ahead.

And if God asks us to relocate to take on a new ministry, then my hope…my prayer…is that we will be able to live on, or near, a place of water. Because God uses water to speak to my soul.

- Julie