God Speaks In My Dreams

Over the last few months, I’ve been having an increasing number of dreams. I had a growing sense that God was trying to speak to me, because different kinds of dreams often had common themes. So I made a conscious effort to try to remember them and then write them down as soon as I woke up. After writing them down, I would ponder them and pray over them to try to discern their meaning. 

Here are the recurring themes, along with an example from one of the dreams that God has given to me.

Theme No. 1 – Rescue: 
I am in a place of danger and need to be rescued by the Lord.

Example - Bruce and I are in a large boat that is stuck on some rocks and damaged. An island nearby offers shelter and safety, but we can’t move our boat and it’s too far to swim. Jesus is in a small boat nearby, and He is ready to carry us from our damaged boat to the island. But even though we are desperate, we are unable to get off the boat and receive the help that Jesus wants to provide.

Theme No. 2 – Guilt:
I feel guilt over the flaws I see in myself and I hunger for the mercy of God.

Example - I’m awaiting execution, but I’ve been given no opportunity to plead my case. I’m being marched toward the firing squad…we get closer and closer…and suddenly a judge appears and agrees to listen to me. I explain my circumstances, and the judge offers me a full pardon.

Theme No. 3 – My Future:
I worry that we will not find a new church with the right “fit”.

Example - Bruce and I have come to serve a new church. It is filled with wonderful people, but it is a very isolated, rural community and we have nothing in common with them. One of the staff members is someone we know, and he assures us that we will fit right in. But I feel disappointment and sadness…and I find myself questioning whether or not God really knows what He is doing.

Theme No. 4 – Preparation:
I am not yet ready to arrive in a new place.

Example – I am traveling on a plane with a couple of friends, and I decide to take no luggage of any kind because it’s too much of a hassle and will slow me down. So I bring no suitcase, no carry-on baggage…nothing. It makes passing through security a breeze, but when I arrive I am totally unprepared because I have no clothing and no supplies. I am filled with dismay as I realize the high price I will pay for my lack of preparation.

As I pondered these dreams, here is what I sensed God saying to me...

I will rescue you. You don’t need to try to frantically get to safety. This is My job, not yours.

I have pardoned you, and I will continue to grant you mercy. Just trust Me and follow Me.

I have your best interests at heart, and I will send you to a place where your service will be fruitful and fulfilling.

It is not yet time to go. But - at the right time - you will be ready. This is a time to continue to rest and wait, while looking with hope toward the unfolding adventure ahead.

As I heard God’s voice, the message of the dreams ultimately comforted me and reassured me. I know that I simply am to rest and take one day at a time – listening, watching…and waiting in hope.

- Julie