Pursuing Meekness

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:5

Jesus, today be within and without me; lowly and meek…yet all powerful.
From an ancient Celtic prayer

As a man, I really dislike the word “meek”.

For me, this word brings up images of “Caspar Milquetoast” (an indecisive and ineffectual character from an old comic strip called The Timid Life – pictured here) or “Walter Mitty” (an insipid, spineless, and hen-pecked husband in a short story by James Thurber). Why would I want to be a doormat like either of these stereotypically weak men?

And yet…Jesus affirms meek people as role models. Why does the Lord promote this quality? Does He want me to be like Caspar or Walter?
I don’t think so, because Jesus wasn’t like these caricatures. So what does He mean when He asks me to be “meek”?

I struggle to answer this question…and then the issue gets even murkier when I read the words from the Celtic prayer above. This prayer invites Jesus to be present in my life with both meekness and power. Is this even possible? My knee-jerk reaction is to answer with a resounding “no”, but then I find myself wondering if those ancient Celts were on to something. After all, Jesus is described in Scripture as meek and mild…and yet He also is firm and unyielding about proclaiming the truth; He takes powerful action against the enemy of our souls.

Perhaps, then, my dislike of the word “meek” stems from a misunderstanding of what it actually means. Perhaps I’ve reacted to its cultural connation, rather than its biblical meaning.

So I looked further in Scripture, and here’s what I discovered. Shortly after Jesus affirms meekness, He says: “…let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).

It’s as if Jesus is saying, “Bruce, live a good and honorable and ethical life so that people will praise God…rather than praise you.”

Wow. What a profoundly counter-cultural message.

This, I believe, is the Lord’s call to meekness and it is not an invitation to wimp out. Jesus wants me to speak and act and live with boldness in pursuit of my calling. He wants me to stand up for truth. But, at the same time, He wants me to always…always…look for ways to give the credit and acclaim and honor to my Father in heaven.

All for Him; not a shred for me. 

Jesus’s words invite me into a lifestyle of active, aggressive humility. I desperately need to hear this message, because the work of ministry is profoundly personal. For example when I study, write, and present a sermon or a lesson, it’s natural to want personal affirmation. To crave it. It’s also hard not to respond to criticism in a personal way. But, by challenging me to pursue a life of “meekness”, Jesus makes it clear that it’s not about me. The success or failure of my service is not (at least in God’s eyes) based on my personality or my popularity. It’s based on my faithfulness.


So – armed with this new insight – I resolve to pursue meekness. Biblical meekness. I will strive to let my light shine and to faithfully carry out whatever good works that God gives me to do. And, at the same time, I will do everything within my power to point people toward the Father so that He gets the credit…because without Him, I could not even begin to do what I do.

- Bruce