My Tour of American Christianity

When I became a follower of Jesus Christ at age 17, I knew almost nothing about the institution we call “the church”. I was aware that it came in a variety of forms and flavors, but all of these were foreign to me. Out of curiosity, and a sincere desire to learn, I spent the first several years of my spiritual journey checking out many of these different expressions of Christianity.

Although I visited a few Catholic churches, my tour primarily focused on Protestant expressions of the faith, and encompassed the following churches: Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, FourSquare, Congregational, Friends, Brethren. My exposure to many of these churches was limited to a few Sundays as a visitor, because usually I could tell fairly quickly whether or not I was going to fit in. When I found a church where there was a strong foundation on Scripture and meaningful worship, then I would settle down into regular attendance and (usually) membership.

This “church tour” was enlightening in many different ways:

1. Each of these churches had their own set of distinctive doctrines and practices. And yet, beneath these differences, there was a foundational belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. These churches were not exalting some other “god”…Jesus was at the core of their faith. Even when I disagreed with a particular church’s approach to the faith, it was wonderful to see how many different groups of people took Christ – and His teachings– seriously.

2. If I stuck around a church long enough, I always encountered some people who truly seemed to radiate the transforming love of Jesus Christ. Sadly, I also encountered some people who did not seem to be very Christ-like. As a result, I learned at an early stage that just knowing “about” God by attending church should not be my focus. Instead, I should strive to know God personally, and allow His Spirit to actually transform my mind, my heart, and my life.

3. The differences I encountered in doctrine and practice among these various churches forced me to dig deep into Scripture to determine what I believed. I chose, as my role models, the people of ancient Berea. The Bible tells us that the Apostle Paul went to Berea and began to explain how the Messiah, Jesus Christ, had arrived to usher in God’s Kingdom. And how did these people respond? They “examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true” (Acts 17:11). In a similar way, I wanted God’s Spirit to speak to me through the pages of the Bible; to confirm in my heart and mind and soul how I should understand and express my faith.

As a result of my own prayerful study, I ultimately found that every church I visited or joined had some issue or practice or doctrine that just did not fully resonate within me. As an active member of a church, I usually had some sort of teaching ministry, and I made it a point not to teach on the specific issues where I disagreed, because I did not want to be divisive in any way. However, this also made me a feel a bit like an outsider; as if I never could fully belong.

And there was one other nagging thought. For many years there had been a longing in my heart, and a stirring in my soul, to serve God through full-time ministry. On more than one occasion, people even confirmed this call upon my life. But I knew that for this vision to become a reality, I had to find a church where I would be fully “at home” in terms of doctrine and practice.

Then, some 25 years ago, God graciously allowed me to find the Christian Church. This network of independent congregations (known collectively as part of “The Restoration Movement”) became my home. For the first time, I found myself attending a church where the doctrines and practices fully lined up with my understanding of Scripture. For the first time, I was part of a movement where I could teach and preach and serve without reservation.

I must confess that by the time I joined a Christian Church, I had virtually given up on God’s ministry call upon my life. Thankfully, though, the Heavenly Father had not given up on me. So after 5 years of active service in our local church, the Lord invited me to leave my business career behind and become a full-time minister of the gospel. I took that step of faith with the full support of my wife, recognizing that this was not just a “career” change…this was a lifestyle change.

Some of the most challenging transitions we had to deal with included: a radical change in the nature and flow of my work-week, an increased sense of living in a fish-bowl where my life (and that of my family) was under greater scrutiny, vastly reduced income (both immediately and over the long term), reduced benefits (particularly in the area of retirement), and a recognition that now – for the first time – my job and my church family were inextricably linked.

Needless to say, our transition to this new lifestyle was not always easy. We have experienced many ups and downs over these past 20 years in ministry, but we have absolutely no regrets about the life God has asked us to live. Obedience…even when it is costly…has its own satisfactions. Best of all, the opportunity to invest in people, and then watch God actually transform their lives, is simply amazing. I can think of nothing in this life that is so rewarding.

As I reflect on the past, I am convinced that I would not be in the ministry today without having embarked on my “church tour”. This exposure to the diverse expressions of Christianity helped to form me and shape me. I was driven to learn and to study; to wrestle with issues of doctrine and theology and church practice. As a result, when God opened the door to ministry…I was ready.

Through a long and somewhat circuitous route, God had prepared me to answer His call.

- Bruce