Laying Aside “Cherished” Sins

Recently I’ve been reading a book by Bruce Demarest, entitled, “Stages of the Soul”. He states, “Cherished sins block the flow of God’s love and conflict the heart with anxiety and remorse.”

Those words - “cherished sins” – grabbed my attention. Could I actually be guilty of “cherishing” certain sins? (Not that I felt good about the possibility, but I did need to consider whether it might be true of me.) Through our journey of this past couple of years - and particularly after our arrival in Oregon - I believe I have cherished some sins; wrapping them around me like a cloak. I’ve enveloped myself in distress and spiritual despair, due to a lack of trust in Him. It’s amazing to me that I could cling so strongly to behaviors that are so destructive.

Somehow, by fighting God for control, I thought I could shorten my journey and make it easier. Have my efforts paid off? Have I gained any ground by desperately clinging to my cherished sins? Of course not. My actions have only made my heart more anxious and my distress more severe.

C.S. Lewis said, “God cannot bless us unless He has us. When we try to keep within us an area that is our own, we try to keep an area of death.”

Thankfully, God has used this challenging season in my life to help me spiritually grow and recognize more deeply my need for Him. These months of transition have given me the vital and necessary opportunity to identify my “cherished” sins more clearly. As I lay them aside, the Lord graciously invites me into deeper relationship with Him.

Several years ago I heard a song recorded by Annie Barbour. These words reflect what God has done…and is continuing to do…in my heart and soul.

For My desire is to heal your heart
In ways you can and cannot see
That you might know the priceless child you are
That you might know Me

-      Julie