Graduate School: A New Rhythm of Life


I haven’t posted in quite awhile because I’ve been immersed in studies. In the spring of 2014, I launched into an online graduate program at Hope International University (www.hiu.edu) in southern California. By this time next year, I will finish with an MA in Ministry & Christian Leadership.

Since earning my BA many years ago, I’ve regularly attended seminars and conferences, and have completed two certificate programs (one in Women’s Ministry and one in Spiritual Direction & Formation). However, diving back into a full-fledged academic program has been extremely challenging.

I’ve discovered that learning in the online environment requires an entirely different mindset, because you can’t see people’s faces & engage in actual conversation. However, there is one huge benefit: I can work at my own pace, which allows me some flexibility in my schedule. Nevertheless, my schooling has been consuming. Even though I’ve done ministry and Bible teaching for years, I’ve never formally studied “theology” before, so this truly is a new endeavor for me.

It’s been hard work, yet tremendously stimulating and enjoyable. And since the topics I’m studying relate directly to Bruce’s areas of knowledge and ministry, it’s been wonderful to “talk shop” with each other on an entirely new level.

Best of all: as I study…as I interact with professors and other students…as I discuss class topics with Bruce…I realize that this season is about far more than just acquiring new knowledge. God is using all that I am doing to continue His process of changing me and helping me to grow.


-       Julie