Knowing God vs. Knowing About God


I ran across a great insight from the Christian author, George MacDonald. My paraphrase of what he wrote goes like this:

Most of the teachers in the church spend more time explaining God…than obeying God. The gospel (the good news about Jesus, forgiveness, and the coming Kingdom of God) is given not to redeem our understandings, but our hearts. When that is accomplished, then – and only then – will our understandings be set free.

This point is so true…and so often overlooked. And it strikes right at the heart of who I am and what I do. 

I am not a scholar, but I am a thinker. I love to study and learn, and I love to teach. I feel as if my life is, to a great extent, an ongoing pursuit of the truth. My ministry and my calling are (among other things) to teach people the truth contained in the Bible.

And yet – if I am not careful – I can turn the pursuit of knowledge into an idol. If I am not careful, I can immerse myself in study for it’s own sake and neglect the condition of my heart and soul. If I am not careful, I can mislead our church into thinking that more knowledge is the solution to all of life’s issues.

The Bible itself reminds us to keep knowledge in its proper place:

And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice – the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.  [Romans 12:1-3, New Living Translation]

I’ve always appreciated this passage, because it does not ignore the importance of the mind. However, the Apostle Paul – writing under the guidance of the Holy Spirit – tells us that we must offer ourselves first. If I fail to follow this timeless advice, I may increase my knowledge without truly being transformed by God.
  

-       Bruce