Finding Meaning in NOT Working

One of my favorite biblical themes is the spiritual value of work. Several times, I’ve preached sermons and taught lessons on the topic of “Your Work Matters to God”. Scripture makes it clear that all of our work is a gift from God, and that our work gives meaning and purpose to life. And my work as a pastor is, for me, the most meaningful and fulfilling work I’ve ever done. 

Therefore, my sabbatical presents me with a tremendous challenge: how do I find meaning and purpose when I’m not working?

The answer: it’s not easy.

Throughout the Fall, I’ve received several invitations to preach/speak/teach in various places. The Lord made it clear that I was to turn down all such offers and truly make this a season of rest, refreshment, and renewal. To pursue Him above all things. In other words, He wanted me to throttle back on my “Martha” habits and spend more time like “Mary” [see Luke 10:38-42]. Of course, this is not an easy thing for me to do. (You’ll understand more clearly if you read my earlier post on “The Idol of Responsibility”.) 

So…how would I rate my progress toward this goal? Fair. Just fair.

Because I need some sense of rhythm and order to my life, each week I have been identifying certain tasks as my “work”: household projects (of which we have a HUGE backlog), managing our finances, clearing months of clutter off my desk, reading and discussing with Julie our “homework” assignments from the Mountain Learning Center…. There is plenty to do, and it’s all good. And when I complete these tasks, it provides a sense of accomplishment and progress. However, I realize that I’m still overly focused on Martha-like behaviors. My default is to place far too much emphasis on “doing” (Martha), and not enough on “being” (Mary).

So…in the weeks ahead…I will strive to take more moments to simply sit in the presence of Jesus. To talk to Him and listen to Him. To be as intentional about my times with the Lord and as I am about my work.  

I know that I will be returning to pastoral ministry at some point, and I know that the Lord wants me to find meaning in my work. But I also want to understand…I desperately need to understand…how to find meaning in not working, so that I can find deep and lasting meaning in just soaking in the presence of my loving and gracious God. 

- Bruce